Wednesday, June 13, 2007

How we don't CELEBRATE diversity, but just live a diverse life

I am interrupting KJ's SeaWorld saga for a brief submission to the Country Fair.


First off, I'm not exactly sure that we celebrate diversity. For me, celebrating means making a big hairy deal about something. In our family, we don't make a big deal about diversity; it's just a part of life. David does have a couple of favorite sayings that he repeats many, many, MANY times to KJ. One is, "Wouldn't life be boring if everyone was the same?" Another is, "You don't have to agree with someone, but you do have to try and understand them." His last one is, "It's hard enough to find someone you love; it shouldn't matter what sex they are." KJ hears all these at least every other week.

I have friends who deliberately look for situations where they're in the minority (and make a big deal about it). I have other friends who shelter their children from anyone who looks, acts, or believes differently. I guess I have a diverse (giggle) group of friends. We rarely seek out situations solely to expose ourselves to different beliefs or nationalities. We just live life matter of factly with the belief that everyone is different, and that we can learn lots from people who look different, have different beliefs or come from different cultures. We do however, seek out opportunities to learn. Sometimes those opportunities also happen to celebrate diversity.

Some examples:

We went to a December seasonal service at the Jewish temple that included Christian, BaiHai, and Muslim parts too. It was called A Celebration of Light.

KJ and I attended a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day march one time. I went once for the opportunity to learn about MLK. If I attend again, it will be because I want to celebrate MLK's birthday, NOT so I can announce to my friends in a snooty tone that, "Oh yes, KJ and I participated in the MLK Day march. It was so wonderful to be in such a diverse group."

Renaissance festivals......totally diverse subculture...really, really different

Anywaaay, we don't celebrate diversity. Diversity is just a part of life.

3 comments:

L said...

Hi Rebel!

Just popping in via the Fair to say hello.

David's right, life would be incredibly boring if we were all alike.

Cheers!

Crimson Wife said...

We have friends of many different faiths, ethnicities, races, political leanings, and so on. We teach our kids that everyone is equal in the eyes of the Creator. We may not share their beliefs, but we are required to love them as our neighbors.

Thanks for sharing!

Admin said...

What with the Internet, TV shows and life in general, it's hard not to find diversity in everyday life. I think it's much easier nowadays than it was say fifty years ago to experience different cultures and ethnic groups without hopping a plane to a foreign country. And this is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.Oddly enough, my father said the same things to me that your dh says to your son. We moved to Baltimore when I was 3 and lived in a rowhouse that marked the line between a Jewish neighborhood and a Black neighborhood. My family was White/Protestant. Good lesson in getting along.I found you at the COFL.
Shine On,
Lill