Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I don't mind doing laundry, but I despise matching up socks. I usually let the laundry basket get completely full before I'll match them. Today, about mid-way through the basket I happened to notice that I had 12 white athletic socks without mates. 12! I didn't realize there were that many styles of sock. I had 3 with gray soles...one with "Hanes" on it, and 2 plain. Did the 2 plain match? No, of course not. They had different tops. I had 3 solid white and not a one matched the other. You get the idea. Where are all the %&*#@ socks going?
Now in defense of the mateless socks, I did have to send a few socks to sock heaven (under the kitchen sink). Why, oh why do David and KJ continue wearing socks that look like this?
When I finally finished the basket, I had 7 white and 5 colored mateless socks. I'm giving them one more laundry cycle to find a mate or they too will be going to sock heaven.

3 comments:

karisma said...

I hear your pain!!!! With a family of 8 we have a bottomless basket of the little buggers! Recently I sorted them out and threw out all the odd ones as it was driving me nuts, and guess what, its full again! I think the washing machine must eat a few.

Dy said...

I wish I knew. They'll keep wearing them indefinitely. I just quietly throw them out, and fortunately, eventually I throw out a second one and then I have a new pair.

But the possible combinations of socks!! It's mind-boggling, isn't it? Eesh. If I weren't so totally grossed out by hoof-foot, I'd just have us all go barefoot everywhere, all the time. It'd almost be worth not sorting the socks. :-)

All caught up on your blogging, now. The visit looks like such fun> That brownie/ice cream dessert could've lured ME out of the pool, too! YUM!

Dy

Bridget said...

I have a laundry basket just for socks. If the match doesn't come out of the dryer, the poor single sock goes into the bottomless basket. About once every 2 weeks I dump it out on the floor or the bed and go through it. I usually end up with a couple matches and then they all end up back in the basket. It's a never ending thing at our house.
Wayne, my middle son, is the same way. He will wear a sock with a hole in it forever if I didn't quietly toss it into the trash.