Monday, July 2, 2007

KJ's friend, Taylor, is spending the night tonight. He and KJ are good buddies and share a love for animals. Taylor's love of animals extends however, into catching animals so he can observe them, and if his mother approves - keep them. He practically has a zoo in his bedroom. I think that he currently has an African Ball Python, two Leopard geckos, three Tokay geckos, a Giant Millipede, and two Red-Eared Sliders. I suppose that I should have been prepared when Taylor asked if we could stop on the way over so that he could buy a net. But no...I didn't give it a second thought.

Within five minutes of arriving at our house, Taylor had caught two toads. I started cooking supper in a state of blissful ignorance while Taylor and KJ then took off for our neighbor's tank with the net and a bucket. They soon returned with a Red-Eared Slider (turtle). Taylor explained how he attempted to catch a water snake, but it took off into the water. (Thank goodness) He asked if we had a bigger bucket so I directed him to the shed where I had a couple of huge kitty litter containers that David had insisted I keep, just in case we ever needed them. I had returned to cooking supper when KJ came flying in shouting, "Mom, there's a snake in the shed."

I went running out thinking, "Please, let it be a Rat snake. Please, let it be a Rat snake. Please, let it be a Rat snake." Taylor informed me that it was indeed a Rat snake. It had slithered to the very back of the shed, behind quite a bit of stuff. (Of course it had) I moved out the lawn mower, some boxes, the glider, a desk, and a stack of 3 tubs. Taylor put his net over the snake and started scooting him along the floor while KJ had the kitty litter container open and ready. I just stood there uselessly holding a rake trying to convince Taylor that he should let me grab it with the rake and take it to the woods. When he tried to scoot the snake into the container...it made a break for it. The snake started up and over the lawn mower when Taylor grabbed it by the tail. I'll let the videos and pictures tell the rest of the story. Yes, I abandoned the boys to the snake (NON-venomous) to run inside and get my camera. I think Taylor will be another Steve Irwin.




















The chickens had to be shooed away at first, but now they're oblivious in the background.

Notice the shovel holding the litter lid open? KJ is on the other end of that shovel, a nice safe distance away. That's my boy.



SUCCESS!!
The snake is now in the litter container with a small toad for food. They also used a nail to make some air holes and one peek hole. Taylor wants to show his mom tomorrow, and then I have a feeling the snake will be released into the woods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does my voice sound much deeper on camera?

KJ

Anonymous said...

And it made my but look really big! No fair

KJ

Bridget said...

I loved the videos. My brother had a ball python when we were growing up and I really liked the snake. I would take her outside when I would lay in the sun and Hermie(the snake) would lay under my chair and sun herself. Now, my husband on the other hand is petrified of snakes. It's very funny to watch him come across a snake. The last one he ran up on, he was weed eating, the weed eater went about 10 feet in the air and he went the other way. It really was funny.

karisma said...

In the land down under, the majority of snakes we bump into are deadly. Therefore today when we encountered a huge red belly black snake (who it seems had not been informed he should be hibernating right now) I ran for it, with hubby and kids close behind.

karisma said...

I stumbled across your blog by accident, I liked it so much I added you to my favourites. Respect to KJ and Taylor, you are brave lads. And KJ your butt looks fine. I love the pets too. We are the proud owners of 5 children, 2 dogs's, some fish, a cockatiel, a rat and an axylotl.

www.karismaskids.blogspot.com