Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Wow, I had no idea that I had not blogged for a week. Time just flew by. I don't think anything remotely interesting has happened so I'll bore everyone with curriculum and classes for this coming school year. (or at least the Fall which is all I have firmly planned.)

History:
We are STILL working through our 4th year of World History using The Story of The World: Volume 4, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, and numerous library books. We should finish in late November or December. For the Spring, we will start back with year one of history, and hit a few key points of ancient times using Jackdaw portfolios.

Math:
KJ will continue reviewing basic high school math with aleks.com. We will also finish up Algebra II using the Algebra book from our class at MCC this past Spring. I'm hoping to finish this in the Fall and have KJ review what he has learned in the Spring with aleks.com.

Science:
I'm teaching Human Anatomy at the Families Learning Together co-op this Fall so KJ will obviously take that. He will also have a year of Chemistry at the Brazos Valley co-op.

Writing:
KJ is taking a class based around this book at the Families Learning Together co-op.

Latin:
KJ will continue with Henle Latin using our wonderful tutor from last year. I think he is finishing up book 1 and starting book 2.

Grammar:
Most of this will come from Latin, but we will finish up Get Wise this summer.

Literature:
We have a few books from the Year 4 history list for KJ to read in the Fall, and then he'll start the Ancient's Great Book reading list. These lists can be found in The Well-Trained Mind.

Music:
KJ will continue with drum lessons.

Other:
Continuing Education Sign Language course at MCC.
Heart of Texas Fencing Club (P.E.)
Stonhenj Renaissance Players (theater, P.E., history)

3 comments:

karisma said...

ok, I have been by 3 times now and must speak out. Where is the art? Does this boy not paint? Draw? create in some way? ok the drum's are good. But the rest no offense is a lot like "school" Don't worry, Ive had a few wines tonight and yes we are very "school work around here too" but guess what! I am pulling the Captain out of school this year too! She is half way to her school certificate but I am fed up with the system altogether! At 15 she will start to homeschool like her younger brothers. Coming from a family of very artistic academics, I still cannot fathom the system and their beliefs. This kid wants to run an alternative crystal and clothing shop (can't possibly see where she gets that from?) Gee? Although she will study English and Maths, the rest is up to her. You know what she picked? Biology, Geology, Sewing, Knitting, Creative art (yes, she excels at this, what a surprise!) Came first in her year this year!) she wants to learn meditation, spirituality, crystals and their healing benefits. (mum faints). Camera girl is currently, without training, performing transferance healing! My god, lots going on in our house right now. We kind of thought they were a bit gifted but how much Phew....I am starting a new blog Crystal Dreaming will update you when the time is right! This one is for the chosen few! I feel that you are one of them. Namaste!

Rebel said...

You're right. We don't have any scheduled artsy stuff this year. KJ took Drawing for 3 years, Drafting for 1, and a painting camp a few summers back. I've tried getting him interested in something this year, but he resists. Maybe I should tell him, "Resistance is futile."...channeling Star Trek. He does like to create things with K-Nex though. He and David have designed some T-shirts and are in the process of designing some more. I guess that will have to do for now, until he shows some interest in something else.

Wow, your daughter sounds sooo cool. She is exactly the type young lady I hope KJ ends up with someday.

J-Lynn said...

Yeah I think they get the most creative when it's not scheduled sometimes. lol

We're starting SOTW this year too. Well we will be when I can actually WIN one of my eBay bidding wars. LOL