Sunday, October 14, 2007

We'll miss you, Amanda.

David, KJ, KJ's girlfriend, and I went to Austin yesterday to hang out and shop. We had a nice day overall until a little before 5:00. I got a call from my mom telling me that my niece, Amanda, had been in a bad traffic accident in Brownwood. Amanda had lived with my parents this summer while her mom was in basic training for the National Guard. About 6:00, she called back and told me that Amanda was being flown to Scott & White in Temple. David dropped me in Temple with my Aunt Olene and returned to Waco to deliver KJ's girlfriend to her parents. Olene and I sat at the hospital with my sister, Sherry, and some of her family. (Sherry is my half-sister from my dad's first marriage.)

We knew Amanda was critical with a long list of graphic injuries, but still had hope. She had made it through the first surgery, but the docs couldn't get the internal bleeding stopped. I was soooo exhausted, that Olene drove me back to Waco a little before midnight. My parents had arrived about 20 minutes before I left. My mom called me half an hour after I left to tell me that the neurosurgeon had come in and said that Amanda had no brain function and was bleeding out. They had already given her 20 units of blood and her brain pressure would not come down. Amanda was on total life support. At 3:00 am, my sister made the decision not to continue trying to keep Amanda's blood pressure up. A little later, she decided to take Amanda off the vent. Amanda passed on shortly thereafter.

She was 17. She was supposed to graduate in 3 weeks. She had a boyfriend with marriage plans. She was supposed to join the military like her mom. Amanda lived everyday to the fullest and always had a plan A, B, C, and D.

All these pictures were taken this summer.







8 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Oh Rebel, KJ, David, the rest of the family... I'm so very sorry. I don't know why but the picture of her with her dog is when I lost it. She was such a beautiful girl and you could tell she had a sparkling kindness in her eyes. I'm sorry for this sudden tragedy. The only consoling words I can think of is that it's a blessing that she touched so many lives with hers before she went. Hold onto your memories and each other, I'm so sorry.
Hugs,
Jess

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. My dd is 21 and I've spent countless nights worrying about this very thing.

Angela Walker said...

Oh Rebel! I'm so sorry. That's just awful. I hope your Mom and Dad are doing okay.

I'll be praying for you all.

Angie

KCB said...

Delurking to say how very sorry I am. My heart goes out to you and the rest of your family.

karisma said...

Hugs and kisses to you. I stopped by yesterday but my comments did not make it up. What a terrible loss for you all.

Lifes lessons are sometimes very hard to bear. Thinking of you and your family. xxx

May her spirit fly free.

Bridget said...

Rebel,
I am so sorry. We have been gone and been so busy I haven't had time to read or blog. I just read this tonight and my heart is breaking for you. My Ashleigh is 18 and it scares me every time she leaves the house. You just never know. We are praying for you and your family.

Patriot said...

What a beautiful girl - I just said a prayer for you and the rest of her family. May Jesus be your rock and source of comfort during this time.

Dy said...

Rebel, oh, honey, I'm so, so sorry to read this. I know there's no comfort I can offer other than to let you know that you and all of your family are in my heart, and my prayers right now. I'm so sorry, sweetie. (((hugs)))
Dy