Sunday, November 4, 2007





Thanks to Life With My 3 Boybarians, I learned that November is Prematurity Awareness Month. She has a beautiful story about all that her youngest has overcome as a preemie. New readers may not know that my big strappin' boy, KJ, was a preemie. He was born 7 weeks early weighing 3lb. 6oz.

After being put on a ventilator, flown to Ft. Worth where he spent 2 weeks in the NICU at a children's hospital, getting a couple of doses of surfactant, and lots of scans; he was flown back to Wichita Falls where he spent another 2 weeks in NICU at the local hospital.

28 days after his birth, KJ was finally able to come home where he starting packing on the pounds.



KJ had a tough first couple of years. We had to make regular and frequent trips to see a pediatric pulmonologist in Ft. Worth. He spent most of those years on Prednisone and getting 4 breathing treatments a day. Once KJ hit 2 though, his health slowly started improving. He was still more sickly than his peers, but he never let it get him down. One of the reasons I started homeschooling was because a doctor had told me that KJ would stay healthier if he were NOT in public school.

KJ has obviously overcome his health issues. He is a fun-loving, intelligent young man with a zest for life. He makes me proud everyday.

Premature births can happen to anyone. I was not a teenage mother. I did not smoke, drink, or take drugs. I had excellent prenatal care, gave up caffeine, ate healthily, took my vitamins, and even went to a Mom-E-Robics class.










3 comments:

Darcy @ m3b said...

What a gorgeous kid. I'm going to show his pics to Trouble and show him what a big healthy boy he is. How inspiring!

Thanks for spreading the word!

karisma said...

Amazing! You would never know it to look at him would you!

My brother was also preemie although he hung in for a week more than KJ and was 5 pound. He only spent 2 weeks in hospital and then the next 6 weeks screaming constantly. It so happened that he had a double hernia which had been missed at birth. Thankfully, he made it through and is now married with a child of his own.

What a blessing.

Unknown said...

I well remember those days! Darn.. you're about to make me cry!!

Love you,
Mom/Grandmomma

PS Love you KJ-Poo!