Monday, December 17, 2007

Wildlife Wonderland

This past Friday and Saturday were Wildlife Wonderland Days at the zoo. The focus was on animal enrichment (things that help them keep from getting bored) with a variety of demonstrations and activities. Unfortunately, the weather was atrocious so not too many people came. David, KJ, and I were helping out on Saturday and got to see a few of the demonstrations and bid in the silent auction. I won three of the six items I bid on. One of the big animal enrichment activities is painting with the animals. Many of the animals just get their feet, tail, or body painted and are given a canvas to play with. The elephants actually hold a paint brush in their trunk and paint.

This stocking was painted by Ricky the Patagonian Cavy. I gave it to KJ.


This child's apron was done by the meerkats. It is going to my niece, Emily.


This bib was painted by a baby map turtle. It came with a photo of the artist. I plan to give it to KJ's Latin tutor's baby girl.


One of the more exciting demos was giving paper mache animals filled with meat to the lions. We have 6 lions, but Sheba and Sam Jack were the two on exhibit that day. The keepers had made Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer pinatas stuffed with meat. David was a little concerned about killing off Santa's lead reindeer in front of small children, but I assured him that they knew it wasn't really Rudolph.

Sheba grabbed Frosty and ran with him over to Rudolph. Apparently, she wanted them both.


"Hey...what has she got down there?"


"I think I'll take some of that, thank you very much."


"No, no, no Sam Jack! Rudolph is mine!"


"Heeeey! Get your own Rudolph!"


At this point Sam Jack left Frosty for Sheba, grabbed Rudolph and ran back up the hill. "You didn't want any of this did you?"


"I didn't think so."

1 comment:

karisma said...

I was thinking, I would like to see the elephants painting but then the lions escapades were very entertaining. Thanks for sharing.