Thursday, August 7, 2008

Attack of the Killer Allergies

I've always had bad pollen and mold allergies, but upon moving to Waco, the allergy capital, they've gotten worse. I've tried shots, netty pot, Simply Saline, nose sprays, and numerous meds. The sinus surgery helped everything drain better so I rarely get a sinus infection, but the allergies themselves are still bad. A couple of weeks ago, however, I had a REALLY bad reaction to something. I had been outside, but can't narrow it down more than that. My legs had started to itch and then the constant sneezing started, quickly followed by my eyes tearing and swelling. I took a Benadryl and hopped in the shower in an attempt to wash whatever was killing me off. The drainage got so bad I was choking on it, my throat started closing, and I started to wheeze. David brought me two more Benadryl and was ready to haul me to ER. I stalled him to give the Benadryl time to work. I was improving in about an hour and better within 3. My chest was sore the next day and we discussed getting an Epi-pen.

I was kind of hoping this reaction was a fluke, but it happened again last night minus the wheezing and closing throat. Upon my exiting the shower THIS time, my darling husband who was lying on the couch watching television said, "Honey bunny, could you make me a sandwich?" My head nearly exploded, but I did make him a sandwich. Anyway,this is what I looked like when he asked me.

5 comments:

Dy said...

Oh, OUCH! I think I'd cal the doc and have a little chat session about this and whether an epi might not be such a bad idea. {{hugs}}

Dy

Unknown said...

Um, I assume David didn't look at you before he asked you to make him a sandwich? If I had seen that face, I would have screamed, loaded you into the car and run for ER! I think you need SOMETHING for it.. a nebbie might not be a bad idea either. You do remember what happens when you don't have an airway?? YOU DIE! Please don't make me worry about this.. too much on my plate as it is.

Love you,
Mom

PS I LOVE KJ's drum room and his bedroom too!

MOM #1 said...

If you feel anything like you look in that photo, there would be no sandwich making going on, that's for sure!

These Central Texas allergies are a nightmare. A few months ago I was in my doctor's office literally crying because I was so miserable. I've been taking Zertec. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You know how it is.

I sure hope you feel better. It doesn't seem like the right time of year for cedar, but I could be wrong. Hmmm now you have me wondering what it is.

Feel better. Get some rest.

Bridget said...

Stupid Man, incredibly stupid man. I feel so sorry for you, maybe an epipen is a good idea. I had horrible allergies growing up but they got better as I got older. No wait, I'm not older just more mature.

karisma said...

Oh dear not a good look my sweet. Our cure for this is plain old Chamomile! Im sure do not need to ask why.Poor TC was going crazy after multiple trials of everything and ready to scratch her eyes out. Mama sat and went Oh god what???? POP Chamomile poultice. (I did not have any fresh on hand so gave tea and rubbed the used tea bags on her skin.) Wallah! It worked This was one I could not back up in any books or internet but it worked I tell you and she swears by it. Its also great if you have any type of infection in your body along with pure honey.

Funny story. Today we went to homeschool group and I had a couple of bags of dried mint to pass along, one of the mums walked in and saw it sitting on the table. She did not say anything but admitted once I started to give it out that she thought it was bags of weed. Too funny! I told her my mum thought the same thing the first time she walked in to find herbs drying all over my house! giggles. Hey I am even growing my own Yarrow these days, mind you I have a bag big enough to last two years in the cupboard. LOL