Friday, September 26, 2008

We're getting our act together.

Life here seems to be stabilizing. I'm slowly getting used to working from dawn until dark. *yawn* Luckily, this will only continue for another week and a half. Currently, I'm teaching for PCKidz two Monday mornings a month, and every Thursday and Friday morning. I teach at our homeschool co-op on Tuesday mornings, and participate in a history co-op on Thursday afternoons. I'm working at DQ pretty much every night from 4 until 10:30 or so, but I'm dropping back to 3 days a week soon. David got low-paying job #1, but has been contacted for an interview by high-paying job #3. He currently works Wed. - Sun. from 2pm until 11pm.

I don't want KJ home that long or late by himself so we've worked out a system. David will be home with KJ Mon. and Tues. evenings while I work. KJ goes to his dad's on Wed. evening when David and I both work. I won't work on Thursday evenings so I can get KJ to fencing. Due to swapping weekends with KJ's dad so KJ could attend my 20th high school reunion with me, KJ will be at his dad's both this and next weekend so I can work Fri.-Sun. On weekends KJ is with me, I won't work. I'll have dropped my hours by then anyway.

I turned the phone book delivery job over to David. He does it Mon. and Tues. mornings. We've been taking turns getting KJ to and from MCC. So all in all, our system works short-term anyway. If David gets high-paying job #3, he'll work days and I'll quit DQ all together (once I know for sure that the situation-that-must-not-be-named or STMNBN is resolved positively. I made need the DQ job if the STMNBN resolves badly...)

KJ has had a hard time getting his MCC work organized. He has difficulty looking ahead to see what and when something is due, looking at his schedule, and then planning around it to get his work done. I was concerned that I had made him this way by homeschooling him and had I to do it over again, I would have given him more projects with due dates that he was responsible for organizing, planning, and executing. My niece is having the EXACT same problems, however, and she has been in public school her entire life so apparently, it's not a homeschooling issue. My mother says it is typical teenage behavior, but I certainly never acted that way. Anyway, I think KJ has his act together now. I had shown him tricks and tools to use, but I knew nothing....until KJ failed a test and missed the due date for a quiz. NOW, I'm a genius and KJ is a planner.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I told you it was just typical teenage behavior. You were not a typical teenager..NERD maybe! LOL Learning to plan is just part of maturing.. I haven't mastered it yet either.

I haven't given up on praying about the "situation" either!

Love you,
Mom

MOM #1 said...

I've always been a planner and isn't it funny how many of us homeschooling Moms were nerds growing up, LOL. What's that about?

It sounds like y'all certainly have found a rhythm although it does sound complicated. I sure hope high paying job #3 comes through and the STMNBN resolves in a positive way.

Good luck keeping that teenage boy organized. I struggle with it daily.

Bridget said...

WOW!! How are you keeping all that straight? I would be pulling my hair out and running in mindless circles right about now. I am a planner and everything has to do exactly as planned or I have a meltdown. Makes for some arguments when you are married to "we'll get there when we get there".

Unknown said...

When are you going to blog about your tap dancing lessons? Your sister spilled the beans complete with a demonstration of your private performance for her! :)

Love you,
Mom

karisma said...

Wow you guys have been really busy! And here I was whinging about getting up at 5.30am to feed a whinging puppy! And chasing her all day! And the usual! LOL!

Dy said...

Ugh. That's still looming? :-( I'm sorry. {{hugs}}

This, however - NOW, I'm a genius and KJ is a planner. - made me laugh. You've done well w/ him, Rebel. He'll come into his own and totally blow you away with how together he is. (He's done so already, in many ways, ya know.)

Hope you're getting some rest - that schedule is a KILLER. Yikes!
Dy