Saturday, November 8, 2008

random updates or tidbits of info

- TSTSNBD is looking up. I'm afraid to say more for fear I'll jinx it, but it may resolve positively by Friday. THEN, we can finally move on to addressing underlying issues such as the state of our marriage.

- I've discovered that all community college courses are not created equal. Some courses may be on an upper high school level, but some are friggin' HARD, HARD, HARD! For anyone living in my area, General Biology with Professor Justice is not a good first college course and will be MUCH harder than any high school Biology class you've ever taken. KJ is hanging on by the skin of his teeth, but I think he'll pass with a "C" which is what he needs to continue with dual-high school credit. He is learning stuff that I don't remember learning in college and I had Human Biology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, and Genetics.

- KJ loves his History of American Music class and will make an "A" or "B."

- We have dropped out of history co-op for several reasons.
* We are using History of the Ancient World but the co-op is using Story of the World and I'm having difficulty lining up the texts. I don't want to switch to Story of the World since we used it the first time around and KJ is too old for it now.
* KJ learns more history by reading and discussing one on one with me. When with the other teens, he just wants to socialize.
* The already-mentioned MCC classes and the time they consume.
* Next semester, KJ wants to take Commercial Music Ensemble: Rock Band which meets during our history co-op time.

- I have found out that the community college has a new program where I can get a tuition waiver for the dual-credit classes. I was wondering how we would continue to pay for them, so this came along at the right time.

- Neko, our deaf cat has been missing for 5 days and we are presuming she is dead. The odd thing is that she is an INSIDE cat and never goes out, doesn't even try. Seeing as how we have turned the house upside down and are not smelling anything... she must have gone out at some point. We have foxes, a bobcat, owls, hawks, and coyotes in the woods surrounding the property so I'm not sure she couldn't survive. I just can't figure out when or why she would have gone outside. The only other inside cat I've had run off turned out to be terminally ill and had left to die. Apparently, that is fairly common, but Neko didn't act sick... *sigh* I'll miss her middle-of-the-night meowing in the bathroom (her hangout).

- KJ wants to go with his church on a mission trip to Peru next summer. We'll see.

4 comments:

MOM #1 said...

I guess it's that time of year when everyone is reconfiguring their educational choices.

I hope the (you know) works out well. I'll be checking in for an update.

Here cc classes for dual enrollment are free. I'm glad you found out about that waiver, why go broke before you have to.

karisma said...

Did you check all the cupboards etc for the cat? Maybe it climbed in somewhere and got stuck! I hope it is okay! Hugs and smoochies xxxx

Bridget said...

I hope you find your kitty. We had ours get out about a year ago and Rusty swore I went into a state of depression. After about 2 months he took me to the animal shelter and got me another kitty.

Dy said...

Wow - GO KJ for hanging in there. He'll probably get more out of that killer class than he'll realize until later. I'm really proud of him for sticking it out.

{{hugs}} on the kitty. I'm so sorry.

Dy