Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Go McKenzie!!!

McKenzie is my sister's oldest daughter. She will be 13 on June 6 and is finishing up 7th grade. Last night she called to tell me that she was commended on her Reading and Writing TAKS tests. These are Texas tests, but it means that she did VERY well on the tests. She has also been selected to take AP American History and AP Language Arts next year. Woo Hoo McKenzie!!

She has dyslexia and has worked really hard to get where she is now. I remember my sister working with her on sight word flashcards during the summer.




I remember when she was getting extra help in reading and was exempt from the Reading TAKS test. Over the past few years though, she has turned into a reading machine and especially likes historical fiction. Go McKenzie!!


She has conquered her dyslexia and now her genius shines through! AND McKenzie also plays the heck out of her clarinet! **sniffle** I couldn't be prouder of her if she were my own child.

2 comments:

Dy said...

Good for her!!! Congratulations, McKenzie, on a job well done, and a battle well fought. I hope you find many, many joyous, touching, wonderful, inspiring things in your reading journeys, and that the work you've put in now will continue to reward you for the rest of your life.

Dy

J-Lynn said...

What a sweet tribute! Congrats McKenzie! Beautiful and smart! You've sure got a proud aunt!