Sunday, June 24, 2007

Meet The Education Animals Part 2

It has been a while since I did Meet The Education Animals Part 1. I finally remembered my camera today while I was doing DOD (Docent of the Day - me feeding, watering, cleaning the education animals every Sunday for those of you who are new or just forgot).
This is Electra. She is an 11-year-old Eclectus Parrot. The whole cocking her head sideways like this is her "I'm curious" look or maybe a more accurate translation would be "What the hell is that?" She is finicky about who she will go to and can be a little temperamental. She acted like she wanted me to take her today, but I am still leery since she was attacking the inside of her cage trying to get to me a few weeks ago.
These are Bonnie and Clyde, hedgehogs. They're still pretty new to the education department, but are already favorite animals with which to do presentations. Bonnie is more laid back than Clyde.
This is the African Fat-tailed Gecko. He almost always gets taken on Zoo Mobiles. He's small and easily portable and the kids love him. His tail resembles a head so they tend to call him the two headed gecko. He is very soft, almost velvety, and still has his original tail. It's hard to tell from the pic but he is only about 6 inches long.
This is Sonnie, a 10-year-old Madagascar Tenrec. He has been around a long time and is nearing the end of his life span. He is so little (I can hold him in the palm of my hand) and sweet. He is not as prickly as the hedgehogs and sure can put away the mealworms.
This is Abigal, a 3-year-old Sun Conure. They are beautiful, but loud birds. I can hold Sunny the male, but not Abigal.
This is one of my favorites, Pablo, an 8-year-old Burmese Python. He is about 5 and a half feet long and is almost a 2-person snake. We can still handle him alone for now though. The kids love him, because he is huge and active. I always feel like I'm dancing with him, because he keeps you moving. One of these days I'll get someone to take a pic of me with him.
I hope you've enjoyed another glimpse into the zoo's education animals.

1 comment:

J-Lynn said...

What beautiful animals (and photos).