Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Welcome back, Eric!

My cousin, Eric, returned from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago. He had already done a tour in Iraq, and was home a year before leaving for his tour in Afghanistan. (and he's not even active duty) Eric is normally a police officer in Austin when not pulling soldier duty. Apparently, he finds dangerous jobs attractive.

His two boys sure are glad their daddy is home.

Anyway, his mother, my Great-aunt Olene, threw him a welcome home party on Saturday. David had docent training at the zoo, and KJ was with his dad so I went by myself. It was great getting to visit with family I don't see very often. My cousin, Pam, was there with her son, Carson. He will be 1 in Oct.
Pam & Carson
I am absolutely smitten with Carson. He is the sweetest baby! He had been in the hospital with pneumonia 2 days before the party so I could feel gurgling in his chest. Boy, did that bring back memories, especially when Pam broke out the nebulizer to give him a breathing treatment. My cousin's wife, Heather, and I both wanted to take Carson home with us. We played nicely though and took turns holding him.
Heather's turn

This is Carson's Aunt Amanda. She spoils him rotten.
These two spoil him too. The lady in back is Carson's grandmother, my Aunt Betty. The lady in front is Carson's Great-Great-Aunt Olene.
This is probably the worst spoiler of all though, Carson's Great-Grandmother, MY grandmother, Audie.
HEY, don't get too used to that Carson. Audie is MY grandmother, MINE. I was the first, and of course favorite grandchild.
Are you eating Audie's keys so she'll have to ride with you, Carson?
This is Carson's Great-Uncle Freddie. Freddie pretends not to spoil him, but he would give Carson anything he wanted.
Only one person did not want to hold Carson. Eric said that he didn't do babies, so Carson took every opportunity to win him over.
Another nice surprise was Freddie bringing his girlfriend, Jerri. She came Thanksgiving too. I think I may have a new aunt soon.
My Aunt Betty, Uncle Freddie, and his girlfriend, Jerri

3 comments:

karisma said...

What a lovely family! I can see why you would want to keep Carson, he is awfully appealing isn't he? You sound just like Cameragirl, she reckons she is the favorite grandchild being the first on both sides as well!

Personally, I am one of close to 40 grandkids. So we don't get to look for any favoritism there!

Dy said...

That's a great way to say, "Welcome home! We love you!" It's the good stuff, isn't it? I'm so sorry David and KJ couldn't make it, but I'm really glad you went and enjoyed the time.

Oh, that baby is PRECIOUS. Absolutely precious! Wow!!

Dy

Unknown said...

Sorry we couldn't make it. Looks like everybody had a good time! Welcome home Eric!

Sorry about scaring you yesterday. I just didn't know if I was over reacting or not.

Love you,
Mom