Saturday, February 9, 2008

meme

Doc said that if you're on her blogroll and haven't done this meme, then to consider yourself tagged. I'm on her blogroll and haven't done it so I guess that includes me.

Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
Open the book to page 123.
Find the fifth sentence.
Post the next three sentences.
Tag five people and ask them to do the same.

I'm sitting near a bookshelf so the closest book is one I read a long time ago. It's What My Cat Has Taught Me About Life.

5th sentence on page 123: "When guests are present, the conventions of politeness are extra important."

Next three: "To enhance her coif-fur for company, Cleo situates herself in the middle of activity and engages in a thorough washing. With an occasional upward glance she seems to say, 'Do make yourself comfortable.' Cleo's decorum is more than an outward show."

Since I think that everybody in blogdom has already done this, I'm tagging people without blogs.
My mom, Debbie, Kerrie-Ann, Kathy P., and Laura

You can leave your answers in the comments.

5 comments:

Savannah! said...

...I've never heard of that before... weirdness.

Unknown said...

5th sentence..Maybe he just needs to get it out of his system.
Next 3 sentences: Diesel shook his head. "He's nutso. He was stalking her, reinfecting her every change he got.

This is from Plum Lovin by Janet Evanovich.

Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

well, let's see..since I'm in my cmputer room/ homeschool room/office, I should be able to find something..well the first three books I picked up didn't even HAVE 123 pages. I guess we're not into reading anything that takes longer than 5 min. Sooo, i will have to venture into another room. AHA!! my library book. I open it at the bookmark and, WALA, page 123. 5th sentence...As we drove for an hourlistening to tapes of her choice, at the volume of her choice, I felt little jabs of resentment, remembering how things were in Ktisti's World. next 3 sentences...When a Jefferson Airplane tape finished and before she put in another one, I remarked, half under my breath, "She reminds me of you." "Who?" said Kristi, her antennae always out for any mention of herself. "Grace Slick." there you go..these sentences were brought to you by The View From Mount Joy by Lorna Landvik

debbie

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm currently reading _Beginnings, Middles and Ends_ It's a book on writing. I'm not on page 123 yet, and sure everyone else will find it boring, but here goes-
Sentence 5- There are no easy prescriptions for doing this- we're talking about art here- but there are some examples to study.
Next three- Two are examined later in this chapter: Hemingway's "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place," mentioned earlier, and Stephen Minot's "Sausage and Beer." Both used common occurrences (Respectively, coldness and prayer) as symbols to encompass more than what occurs in their stories- in other words, to make their stories resonate rather than resolve.
I've had this book for awhile, several years in fact. Since I've decided I may have a chance as a writer, I've picked it up and cracked it open for the first time. I'm really enjoying it so far. I hope I didn't make you snore. I doubt it's exciting to very many people.- Kerrie-Ann

Anonymous said...

Duh, finally figured out how to post a comment. I tried to e-mail and it didn't work, so I sent a copy of this to your regular e-mail. Now you can ignore your regular e-mail response. Sorry for the craziness- Kerrie-Ann