Friday, January 23, 2009

Why you shouldn't follow your dog into the woods after dark

Last weekend sometime, David was working, KJ was at his dad's, and I was home by myself. I let Sammie out to use the bathroom, but he took off down the driveway. I was on the phone at the time so I finished up my call before heading out to holler for Sammie. I could hear him barking in the woods across the street so I started down the driveway while calling his name.

Now, it wasn't completely dark yet so I could still see somewhat. When I entered the woods though, it was immediately darker, but I could still see the trail so I didn't go back for a flashlight. Roscoe abd Curly (the GOOD dogs) showed up, but I could hear Sammie tearing through the woods barking his fool head off. By this time, I had decided I would HAVE to go back for a light when my neighbor drove his truck over and partway down the trail so we could use his headlights. He said he heard me hollering for Sammie and was seeing if I needed help. I told him that I had just been thinking I needed a light and that since Sammie was obviously chasing something, following him into a dark wood was probably not real smart of me. (considering we have a bobcat, coyotes, foxes, not to mention rabid raccoons and skunks) I should have just waited for him to show back up in his own good time.

At that moment finally Sammie ran up to us. He KNEW he was in trouble, and was slinking along the ground with his ears down and tail between his legs. I snapped the leash on him and that was when the skunk smell hit. It was definitely close! Neighbor man ran for his truck while the dogs and I ran for home. I put Sammie on his dog run, stripped out of my clothes, tossed them in the wash, and jumped in the shower. I scrubbed, gagged, scrubbed, and gagged some more. Finally, the smell faded. I think it was more in my nose than actually on me. Sammie eventually got to come inside later that evening for a bath and some lavender oil.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's still funny even though I already heard the story! LOL LOL

Love you,
Mom

PS Forgot to say in the earlier comment that KJ looks cute in his new duds! Or is that handsome? Nah, Grandmomma says he's cute!

Love you,
Mom

MOM #1 said...

Good Night, Girl! YUCK!

karisma said...

Oh dogs are so much fun! Miko has been head butting the front door hoping the kids left it off the latch. She managed to get out the other day and we had a hell of a time catching her! It would not bother me so much if she had not been running back and forth over the road! At least she did not come back smelly! LOL

Dy said...

Oh, Rebel! OH NO! I'm glad it was just the odor of, rather than a full-on dose of... oy!!